Nagayamon Gate of the storehouse of the former Kuroda Domain
During the Edo period, Osaka, which was the center of commerce, distributive trade, and financing of Japan, was known as the "nation's kitchen". Products of all feudal domains were brought to Osaka, sold here, and then again transported to the various domains or even exported to foreign countries via Nagasaki. Each feudal domain had a daimyo's city storehouse in the area of the current Nakanoshima to serve as a warehouse and a place to conduct transactions at. The front gate of the storehouse of the former Kuroda Domain (Fukuoka Domain) is one of the few pieces of architecture of the Middle Edo period still remaining. It is located in the vicinity of the present Nakanoshima Mitsui Building and was donated to the Osaka City by the Mitsui & Co., Ltd. at the time when the building was constructed in 1933 (designated Osaka Prefectural Tangible Cultural Property).